Quote

"When what you are fighting is not the enemy, surrender is victory, not defeat"

Unknown

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Minimalism: Bathroom Cabinets

I am going to warn you now that this isn't nearly as entertaining as my delicates drawer, but I told you that I would share, so here it is:

This week I tackled the master bathroom cabinets, linen closet and medicine cabinet.  What is really sad about this is that I thought that I had pared down when we moved less than a year ago.  Apparently I was in a hurry, because I found things that should never have made the move!  I will also tell you guys that I am not going to be like these people who have two toiletries and a toothbrush...I am just not that good, so if you are a minimalist, you may be appalled at the number of things that I have kept.  I am taking baby steps people...on a scale where you have hoarders at one end and minimalists at the other...well, I want to be on the minimalist side of things but I'm still hanging near the middle.

I started with the medicines.  We have two big baskets, one for kids meds and one for ours.  I keep my everyday meds in the kitchen...thyroid, vitamin D, etc.  These are our cold meds, pain and stomach meds.  I keep them in the linen closet...our bathroom is quite large and we use the fan, so I don't have to worry too much about moisture.  Now, I know that I went through these meds last year, so I was surprised with some of my finds.  I had pain medicine from the birth of my daughter...4 and half years ago!  And a half dozen expired meds, including 4 Epi-pens, an inhaler, and (lowering head) vitamins I always forgot to take.  I am much better at taking my vitamins now as I have a little pill box...geez, I am getting old.   I organized our first aid container as the kids aren't very good at getting just ONE Bandaid out of the box and it was a bit of a mess.  Levi keeps his meds in the medicine cabinet along with razor refills, etc.  Um, his was much easier to organize as the man never has to take any medicine!  Makes me sick.  I think the only reason he needs insurance is for me and the kids.

I went through our travel section and threw out the little hotel bottles.  I won't use them, the kids can't use them and I usually just get the refillable bottles so that we can use our own stuff.  Levi grabs them every time we go anywhere.  I find that I have not one, but two spare glasses so the oldest is going to be donated at the eye doctor.  We have 5 little toothpaste kits free from the dentist with a little bag, toothpaste, toothbrush, and floss.  Levi and I use Sonicare so I am not sure why we have these still...I decide to keep two up in the guest bathroom for our guests who may forget, and donate the rest.  I rethink that and dismantle one for our travel stuff...I take the toothbrush and put it with cleaning supplies and the rest in our sample size travel gear.  I then take a couple of the sample shampoo/conditioner things out of the trash and put that in the guest bathroom too.

So I don't bore you with the rest of the experience I will sum up quickly: I got rid of curlers that I have had since HIGH SCHOOL (and I think that they were my mom's before that!).  I am about to celebrate my 20 year reunion people.  I am not even sure that they work as I probably haven't used them in 10 years.  I gave up trying to get my hair to hold curl a long time ago.  I got rid of 5 bottles of lotion and still have quite a few left!  How many bottles of lotion does one person need!  Why have we let the world convince us we need 10 different lotions for our body?...one for feet, one for hands, one for face, one for neck, one for firming, one for softening, one for massaging...etc. If I used all of them it would take an hour to lotion myself up and I would smell like a Bath and Body Works.   I found nail polish that was permanently crusted shut,  and 10 emery boards...I don't really file my nails...like ever.  I found sunscreen hiding from two years ago and Chapstick from who knows when, but it looks funny.  It is REALLY annoying when people don't put expiration dates on things! I got a permanent marker and wrote the date on things without so I will know next year how long it has been there.

Ugh, I need new makeup...mine is getting quite old and broken...I don't wear it everyday so it takes a while to use it up.  I am running out of everything at once...that is going to be a pricey trip.  Levi is going to have sticker shock and I don't even buy the ridiculously expensive stuff.  If it weren't for him, I wouldn't ever wear it, so hopefully he appreciates it.

I reorganized everything using the containers I already had.  I do want to get a container of some sort for the cotton balls, so they are still in their bag at the moment...I have heard the dollar store is good for that sort of thing, but I want to wait until I have been through the rest of the house...I may find something to use.  It doesn't have to be pretty in the closet.

I threw out three grocery sacks of trash!  I wonder if having all this space makes one subliminally want to fill it up.  I do solemnly swear to you all that I will not buy another bottle of lotion until I use them all up!  The cleaning part is the easy part...now I need to focus on not buying things I don't need!  No more Bath and Body Works sales for me:)

This is been more fun than I thought it would be and I keep going to stand in front of the linen closet with a goofy grin on my face.  Levi was very excited as he is the more organized of the two of us and rewarded me with a big sloppy kiss and a butt pat and boob squeeze...such a man.


15 comments:

  1. Congratulations Bea...you are doing great! BTW...anyone that has the hotel soaps, shampoos, etc. along with the tooth kits the dentists hand out...woman's and homless shelters are always looking for those type of things.

    Keep up the good work and feel free to come reorganize my house! :D

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Cat, I love helping friends organize...getting started on my own organizing...not so much:) I also send unopened soaps etc. to Ronald McDonald House...that's where the teeth bags will go...unfortunately, Levi had opened and used some of the other hotel stuff and they will only take unopened:(
      Thanks for the encouragement...it helps to know that I said I would tell y'all about it:)
      Bea

      Delete
  2. There are few things more satisfying than cleaning out a closet or even a drawer. We've got a few around here that look like science experiments.

    Next time Levi grabs the freebies, remember that women's shelters love extra bottles of shampoo and lotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Leah, My kiddos have science experiments in their rooms:) I like to send freebies to Ronald McDonald House too:) Unfortunately, the ones I had were opened and half used and they will only take unopened ones:(.
      Good luck with your science results:)
      Bea

      Delete
  3. I recently reorganized a bunch of drawers and cabinets in the bathroom and kitchen and when done it felt so great. Now I just have to hope it lasts... :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the trick isn't it...to make sure that it doesn't get cluttered back up...I think the maintenance is harder than the initial purge:) Good luck:)
      Bea

      Delete
  4. I did the same thing about a month ago. I also opened the closet door a dozen times to smile. Don was moving back in and I wanted to make space for him.

    I had about 7-8 hemmrhoid medications and tubes. I think they were from the birth of my third kid 36 years ago. I kid you not. Threw them all out, laughing. Didn't think there was anyplace to donate them.

    I love everything being organized. Makes me happy. When Don moved back in he didn't even notice all my efforts so I made sure I pointed the clean linen closet out to him. No kiss butt pat or boob squeeze though. Oh well. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! The things we have to do for our kiddos...definitely time to throw those tubes out:) Too funny.
      Sorry you missed the butt pat and boob squeeze...not sure it was really the accolades I was looking for, but I could tell he liked what I did. I am sure Don does too:)
      Bea

      Delete
  5. Good on you Bea, such a satisfying feeling once the clutter is gone. Glad Levi appreciated your efforts too :) keep up the great work :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mason jars make pretty containers for the bathroom for cottonballs.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/140385713355009290/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! That looks awesome:) I actually use Mason Jars as my everyday glasses...$6 a dozen...can't beat that:) I will be on the lookout for a large size like the one in the pic.
      Bea

      Delete
  7. Am totally disorganised and only just found this post, so sorry Bea.

    I am very impressed with your de-cluttering. You sound as if you moved to a larger house (guest bathroom - very impressive) and now have more space in which to organise yourself. We, on the other hand, are about to downsize. I am having palpitations just thinking about it. I am totally NOT minimalist. More maximalist!

    I don't keep medicaments upstairs at all - they are downstairs in one of the kitchen above-counter cupboards. I keep most of my stuff like that, plus my spices, dried herbs etc, in little wicker baskets that just fit on the shelves inside my cupboards. Easier that way. I wonder whether your Mason jars are the same as our Kilner jars? I certainly keep my cotton wool balls in one of those.

    It's great to keep reading about your hard work. I'm still laughing about your underwear drawers!!!

    Many hugs
    Ami

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...see reply below...hate it when I do that:)

      Delete
  8. Hey Ami,
    Yes we did recently move into a bigger abode...from two to two and a half baths. I live in a place where is large can be quite inexpensive which is a blessing and a curse. There are more places for things to get stashed and forgotten and more to clean! I sometimes wonder if I would be happier living in one of those metal shipping containers that all the hippies are converting to houses. I hope your downsizing goes well, I hear it can be a blessing! We don't use half our stuff anyway:)
    Mason jars are similar to Kilner jars but without the metal locking thingie. Mason jars screw on and off and have the rubber thing on the lid for canning. Although my lids are stashed who knows where since I just drink out of them:)
    Hugs,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete